December 3, 2012

Shredded Chair

My husband has become quite the picker for me. He spotted this chair on the trash this summer as we were picking up our car from the mechanics. 

Here she is.....



and here is what's left of her....just kidding but it sure was a mighty mess getting this old leather like material  off of her. Who knew they made pleather years ago.

I took pictures as I dismantled the material so that I would be able to recover it the same way. I didn't want to trust my memory for this and doing this has saved me many a time when refinishing a piece that has many parts or involves a process.





I had visions that I would recover the chair in a funky, fun material but when I really started looking at the lines, it just spoke rustic to me. So after I sanded it down, I restrained it so it would be a little bit more uniform in color and gave it a nice coat of wax. I know Wipe-on Poly is probably what most people would use but I think wax gave it a remarkably soft finish. 


I gathered my drop cloth material and just started cutting it into strips. Not sure how this was going to work but I just kept at it.

Yes drop cloth frays because it is a woven material. But I loved how it looked so I know this chair will speak to fewer peoples hearts as far as the concept behind it but I love how it turned out. I clipped off a lot of the  stray frays so it does look clean but not pristine. Sometimes you just have to go for it and not worry if others "get you". I know that someone will look at this chair and fall in love with my occasional chair.


 Introducing the Shredded Chair

I added a little feather pillow! Ain't it cute? Adds a little panache to my frayed Frau.





Always being renewed,



Please see the link party page to see where I link arms with those blissfully beautiful bloggers that host every week. So gracious they are along with these other sweet ladies! Todays Creative Blog vif187 all crafts Homemade Projects ~ Add Yours! {5/1} Home Stories A2Z  
We Would Love For You To Join Us Each Wednesday... southern hospitality

My Repurposed Life My Uncommon Slice of Suburbialollipops

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

7 comments:

  1. Wow, that was some major work you did! It came out great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire you for working so hard on that chair. I like the drop cloth weaving! You are right, it just seems "to fit" the chair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! I love that you got creative and did something different, and I think it works beautifully. Send your husband to patrol my neighborhood please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. c'mon. was it really too shredded to use? ha! it looks fab!

    hope you'll have a moment to stop by, and i'm hosting a giveaway as well today:
    http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2012/12/personalized-lovely-giveaway.html

    peace to you.

    michele

    ReplyDelete

Lay it on me! i love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...